Excellence in Teaching
Minnetonka Awards for Child-Centered Excellence in Teaching
This award seeks to select the best representatives of the many outstanding teachers in the Minnetonka School District. The award includes recognition at every level and from every school. This award will serve as local recognition and the District’s nominating procedure for the Minnesota Teacher of the Year program.
- Jonathan Westmeyer, Math Teacher, Minnetonka Middle School West
- Rebeccah MacDougal, Grade 6 Teacher, Minnetonka Middle School East
- Kristyn Roman, English Language Learner Teacher, Minnetonka High School
- Matt Breen, Math Teacher & Teacher on Special Assignment, Minnetonka High School
- David Wicklund, Teacher on Special Assignment, Clear Springs Elementary
- Nicole Bailey, Grade 2 Teacher, Deephaven Elementary
- Keri Buisman, English Language Arts Teacher, Groveland Elementary
- Jean Saboe, Grade 2 Teacher, Excelsior Elementary
- Mabel Crandell, Reading Teacher, Spanish Immersion, Minnewashta Elementary
- Diane Daniels, Navigator Teacher, Scenic Heights Elementary
- Maria Johnson, ECFE/Preschool Teacher, Minnetonka Community Education
- Demonstrates exemplary commitment, enthusiasm, student-focus, effectiveness, and professionalism.
- Displays personal and professional integrity.
- Advocates for the best interest of students; addresses emotional and developmental needs of students.
- Employs a wide range of educational and scientific research in teaching, including effective practices in differentiation—pulling the best out of each student.
- Exhibits a genuine love of children and a professional commitment to children’s learning.
- Creates a positive, supportive, respectful and disciplined atmosphere for personal and academic achievement to flourish.
- Demonstrates a commitment to professional growth, school improvement, and community involvement.
- All licensed teachers are eligible for nomination.
- Any Minnetonka colleague, administrator, student, parent, community member, or alumnus may make the nomination. Self-nominations are not accepted.
- The nomination shall include:
- Nominator’s name and phone number
- Nominee’s name, job title, and school or department
- Answers to the following questions
- Briefly describe this nominee’s strengths in relation to the criteria for this award.
- Briefly describe how this nominee displays a genuine love of children and commitment to their learning.
- Briefly describe how this nominee demonstrates best practices in teaching.
- Briefly describe this nominee’s involvement in our schools and community, beyond regular duties.
- Submit one or more letters of support which share personal observations of how the nominee demonstrates a commitment to child-centered excellence. It is suggested that letters be from both an employee and non-employee of the District.
- One finalist from each school (two from MHS) and DEC are selected by a recognition or Tonka Pride committee at each site and shall be notified in late April.
- The District Recognition Committee selects two teachers from among the finalists to represent Minnetonka in the Minnesota Teacher of the Year Program. District support will be provided to complete the two state nominations.
The nomination period is currently closed.